They All Look the Same! (Blog#3: Korean)

When i was 11, I asked my brother of what he knows about the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. He answered, “Sabi nila, during the colonization era, both Spanish and American, Japanese merchants came to the Philippines to trade goods. Little did everyone know that some of them had other intentions. Meron daw, yung nagtitinda ng taho nun, general pala ng isang battalion ng mga hapon, tapos yung may-ari ng tindahan sa palengke daw, sergeant daw pall nila.” With that answer, i asked myself, “so why are there so many Koreans here in Manila? I do hope and believe that they’re not planning an invasion, right?”


I remember talking to my korean friends back in high school. I asked them why they are here in the Philippines. One of them said that education is better and cheaper here. Another said that he is escaping the two-year compulsory military service of their country. One girl answered, “Because Filipinos can teach English very well and they don’t cost very high.”


So far, all the Koreans that I know are very friendly and kind. I hope that we Filipinos won’t treat them indifferently and still continue to show that hospitality we are well-known for.


James Sampan

10950001

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment